Friday, May 14, 2010

Antique Woodwork Flower Design

I need your feedback on this . . .

Our 1893 Queen Anne Victorian house has a repeating flower design on all of the window and door woodwork. 

Do you know what the flower design is called? 

Was it a popular design picked by the original owner, or was it a design created by the builder? 

Could it have been a spin-off design from a furniture manufacturer?  The reason I ask is . . . a friend of mine contacted me and offered to sell me her oak dresser.  She said it looks like my window/door trim.  I saw the dresser and nearly fainted . . .

Yes, of course I bought the dresser from her!


  1. I don't have a clue as to whether there is a name for the flower, but the motif was popular during the era. I will say that I am envious of your dresser (and most of the other things you have around your place!) and that you've gotten yet another room finished while I'm dallying around with one stinking floor! :)

    Hope all is well with you!

  2. Hi Linda-

    When I saw this post, I started scouring my books on Victorian furniture, hoping to find a clue as to the name of your spoon-carved or chip-carved pattern. I didn't find any names for the various carvings, but I did find a lot of very similar carvings to the ones on your woodwork and dresser! It could be a stylized sunflower, which was a very popular motif during the Aesthetic period. I've said it before, but I adore your original woodwork, and I just LOVE those dovetails on your dresser! :-)