Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

Making Wool Cookies

Time to Make Wool Cookies
Let me show you how I make them,
and
why I need them.
I purchased this splendid 4-drawer file cabinet for under $100 in Stevens Point, Wisconsin. 
It sits in the west dormer sewing area of the art studio. 

The wool cookies will replace the cardboard under the file cabinet.   I'm not planning to move the file cabinet again, but the wool cookies (furniture pads) will help protect the floor. 

Lesson Learned:  don't move furniture larger than you are across a new floor.  

Two 8-inch long scratches on the new floor remind me I should have made the wool pads sooner.

This is a hunk of boiled wool. 
I purchased several wool jackets from Goodwill in November. 
One evening I sat on the couch and cut up two jackets. 

Lesson Learned:  don't sit on the couch and cut up wool jackets, it makes such a mess.  It is twice the work to clean up the mess than cutting it at the work table to begin with.

I washed the cut up wool pieces in the hottest setting in the washing machine, then off to the dryer. 

There you have it, the simple steps to make your own wool felt. 

I originally made wool felt for the Litte Girls Sewing Club--a sewing group who joins me the day after Thanksgiving every year.  On that day we make (sew/craft) gifts all day long while their Moms and Grandmothers go Christmas shopping.   

The wool felt hunks the Little Girls made into drinking coasters,
and topped them with machine embroidered leaves.

I still have lots of wool felt left over, and it is a perfect material for furniture foot pads.

Two layers of wool felt + glue + weights

By the way, the nice little juice glasses I purchased (14pc) for $4 at Unique Interiors--a second hand store in Greenville, WI.  Way cool, eh?


Glued up, and ready for assembly and weights--they remind me I need to go to the store and get milk. 

So I went to the store, got the milk, resisted the temptation to buy a bag of oreo cookies.  But when I returned home--the longing for cookies continued, so I  did the unthinkable . . . I caved . . . I baked chocolate chip cookies.  It's been a week now, there are still cookies left in the jar.  They are as hard as hockey pucks.

Tell me, is it bad to feed crunched-up cookies to the birds?  Jon says I have to stop throwing peelings out the back door, because I'm attracting skunks.  Lesson Learned.

3 comments:

  1. This post is written with style and good humor, and fosters the old-time value of making rather than buying. You are very skillful--even the pattern of white glue is attractive and better than I could have done. It's a good thing you baked the cookies yourself; even your "wool cookies" probably taste better than most store-bought ones.
    --Road to Parnassus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Parnassus,

    Thank you for the comments, especially about my "wool cookies" probably taste better than most store-bought ones. I burst out laughing when I read that.

    As I laughed, I suddenly had a vision of something that happened 30 years ago. I want to share it with you.

    My sister was visting us and wanted to make dinner.

    She made her grand entrance from kitchen to dining room holding a huge platter of spaghetti and I remember all the little meatballs skillfully arranged around the plate's edge.

    At least that is how I remember it, before she lost her footing and only half of the spaghetti made it to the table.

    I was so astonished, the wine I was drinking exited my nose. It was a great evening. We are still laughing about it 3 decades later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mrs. D-

    Ha, lots of lessons learned, lol! I don't know how many times I've scratched the floors moving things I shouldn't. The little felt things sometimes come off furniture and I don't realize until it's too late.

    I do love your fun stories on this post, and your spaghetti story to Parnassus... family stories that are told for decades after the fact are the best!

    -Pam

    ReplyDelete