Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2020

1930's Wedding Ring Quilt


Gee, how lucky can I get?

Found a beautiful 1930s Wedding Ring Quilt
at a garage sale (one year ago).

Actually, it wasn't an ordinary garage sale because the owner was selling her collection of cotton quilting fabrics, and wools at $3 a yard!  I spent a shameless amount of money, grabbing up her stash.  Picked up all of her 6 yard bundles.  The colors were yummy, Civil War reproductions, and my favorites by Brackman, Morton, Kaufman . . . 

People were shoulder to shoulder in the garage.  I quickly filled a couple boxes, and as I made my way to the cashier, I spotted a folded quilt within arms reach.  Marked $50.  OMG.  Hand-quilted.



The fabric sale was one of those magical moments (when all hell breaks loose, along with my checkbook).  Like a runaway horse and carriage.  It was thrilling ride!

Next Day, I returned and bought more . . . what I really mean to say is, I bought more than I had purchased the first day.  That was a year ago, and more than a dozen queen size quilts later I still have quite a bit of fabric left from the haul.

Seriously,  I make a dozen queen size quilts (start to finish) every year.  Each quilt 20 yards of material: fabric, backing, batting, binding.  And, with other projects sewn during the year--I figure I blow through 250 yards of cotton fabric annually.  I sew every day because I love to sew.

Back to my story about the 1930's quilt I bought at the garage sale . . . 


I showed the quilt to my friend Jerry who is a quilt collector and expert on the subject of antique and vintage quilts.   I've attend a couple of his lectures on quilts.  He's like a walking encyclopedia.  

Jerry said my quilt was mid to late 1930s, and possible into the 1940s.  He spoke rapidly, pointing out the popular design work of stripes, cross-hatched lines, outlined flowers floating in a sea of tiny dots.  Yes, lots of circles, dots, and flowers.  Then he talked about colors, and names of the colors that were popular.  Wished, I'd recorded all he told me about the quilt.  It's a full size quilt by the way, and is in great condition.  I love everything about it, especially the scalloped edge. I'm not saving it for a rainy day packed away.  I use it!  

More Research:

I found these fabric advertisements online







Here are more detail photos of my new/old quilt.  












Thank you for looking at my stuff.  Please leave comments.  I enjoy hearing from you.





14 comments:

  1. Wow what a haul. That quilt is quite the treasure! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frog Quilter. I just visited your lovely blog, and seeing your 3.5 squares quilt. Love your long arm quilting.

      Delete
  2. Hello Linda, Congratulations on your windfall purchases. That is the problem with budgets for crafts or collecting--they don't allow for the sudden opportunity that might not come your way again. I remember one house sale of an interior designer at which several rooms were absolutely filled with fabric samples, all from famous companies like Scalamandre and Brunschwig & Fils. No one was much interested, and I bet a small offer would have carried away the lot.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should go shopping with you Jim. You always find the sweet deals! Thank you for stopping by to look at my work. I am having fun filming sewing classes, and look forward to telling you when my new website launches. You have been such a great friend. I love your blog, your collections, and amazing memories you share with your followers.

      Delete
  3. What a treasure! I love using quilts in our daily life. We tend to use them more in the cooler months, but what the hey!

    I also love going to a quilter's yardsale. What's old is new to me (and the other shoppers). I love finding my old faves, especially Benartex Fossil Ferns. They are still being sold, but not as easy to find. Except at quilter's yard sales. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you--I love using quilts everyday. Would love to join you (to go to a quilter's yard sale). I really miss getting out and doing things like that! Best wishes to you. Thanks for commenting on my post.

      Delete
  4. Enjoyed this post. Love the quilt! Very cheery and sweet. Lucky you,
    d

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Deanna. I imagine you are decorating your house for the autumn??? Thank you for stopping by my blog and I appreciate your kindness.

      Delete
  5. What a great find in that beautiful quilt! And the fabric, I totally understand. I make a lot of quilts, too, and I refuse to feel guilty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elaine. Thanks for stopping by and chiming in about your love of quilt making. How are you doing these days?

      Delete
  6. What a treasure you found....and what a steal!!! I hear about people having those magical yard sale moments....I'm still waiting for mine LOL. No doubt it will come at a time when I am downsizing. ;-) Hope you've been well. Kinda crazy here in this ol' state of ours. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin. Yes, it has been a crazy state of ours. I'm taking one day at a time and keeping close to home. Glad to have my hobbies to keep me busy. I know you keep busy, and I enjoy your blog. Best wishes.

      Delete
  7. What a find! The Wedding Ring quilt is my favorite design.
    You are amazing to make a dozen quilts a year! Whew! Love your blog. 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Paris. Thank you for your kind words. I keep busy in the studio every day. Today I worked on bracelets, made from blue jeans seams, hand decorated with polymer clay (handmade), and some 6/0 glass beads. I'm preparing some photos to show you. It will be done in a day or two. Hope you stop by again. Talk to you later.

      Delete