Pages

Saturday, December 12, 2020

North Bedroom Upstairs - Revisited


The north bedroom upstairs features three cut-away windows located on the front of the house.   
The Tiffany style lamp is perfect for this room.

I refreshed/repainted the floors, changing them from a painted 1940s butterscotch color, to a rich expresso, and area room rug for warmth.  





I made the drapes.  And yards and yards of piping for the hem of the drapes, but the fabric being so stiff didn't allow for the piped hem to puddle.  Bummer.  

Oh My Goodness--what to do with 6 yards of piping?  So I divided the piping into (6) one-yard pieces and made tie-backs for the drapes.


Detail of the fabric I purchased to make the North Bedroom drapes.  

Let me tell you how I decided colors for the rooms.  First, it depended upon what drapery fabric I could find on sale.  I liked this one the best.  

After I found the fabric,  I matched the wall color paint to the drapery fabric.  The bluish gray sheer fabric also shown in the above photo I did not end up using because I found off-white ready made sheers with a matching pattern like the drapery fabric.

 I still have that big bundle of the bluish-gray sheer fabric. so I inserted it into the bathtub, with Slim (our 6 ft. decorative skeleton)  and made it look like water covering him.  On top of the sheer fabric I put some prism Christmas garland to look like Slim soaking in a bubble bath.  It was really a funny set-up for our guests during the annual Halloween Victorian House Tour and Craft Show.  





(above photo) Visitors who stayed over too long







This chandelier hung in the dining room 50 years.  I re-wired and Jon re-hung it in the North Bedroom upstairs.  I took this photo before we had installed Crown Molding through out the upstairs. 


Here's the North Bedroom after we moved into the house.  I removed all the wallpaper (walls and ceiling).  Jon drilled holes in the walls to blow-in insulation.  

We kept the original windows with wavy glass through-out the house, but installed storms and screens on the outside.  Insulation and storms and screens were important decisions we made to keep the house warmer and cooler.  And, it made heating the house more affordable, as well as dampening the noise from outside.  Much appreciated diminished noise during snowmobile season (zing, zing, zing, zing), and mowing during the warm months.  


Jon  installed new ceiling and I did all the skim coat plastering on the walls.  Once the skim coat was complete, the walls were as smooth as a baby's butt.  Then a coat of Zinzer 123 primer, and two coats of Polish Pewter (Valspar) satin finish.




I auditioned several table side lamps for the North Bedroom.  


This is a lampshade I recovered with toile fabric.  Later I added two layers of fringe.


Here is the lampshade when I finished it.  You know--covering an old lampshade is quite easy.  Someday soon I will do a tutorial on it for my new website Linda Lu Sewing that is launching in 2021.

***
Thank you for looking at my blog.  Please leave me a comment--I'd love to hear from you.

6 comments:

  1. A beautiful refinish. Wow!!! You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Frog Quilter. I love your website. You are the wizard of scrappy quilts. Love your work.

      Delete
  2. Hello Linda, Your guest room looks most inviting, even if some of the former guests are still there. I would have made the curtains light blocking, as I am not an up-with-the-sun kind of person. In fact, my bedroom oddly has 22 window sashes in it, and I recently made a project of covering the panes with heavy black plastic (lined on the outside with white) in an attempt to darken the room.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Jim. That is quite a project covering the window panes with black plastic. Now you can sleep better with this change, right?

      Delete
  3. A huge investment in time and talent and a completely charming result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Katie. For everyone reading my post--this my friend Katie Farmer, author and expert on the subject of White Sewing Machines. Oh my, I am so delighted to hear from you. Thanks to you I was able to acquire a match for the bobbin race for my Florence Rotary Sewing Machine,. As well, I appreciated the (file for the manual) you emailed to me. So grateful to you. I shared the file for the manual with members at Victorian Sweatshop Forum. Everyone there speaks so fondly of you.

      Delete