Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Circus Circus Quilt (Just Finished Today)


Everything but the kitchen sink went into this colorful queen size quilt.



I auditioned a number of fabrics, including scraps from other projects.
I made some flying geese with the scraps.





After sewing a number of blocks, and strip sets, I started to assemble the quilt top.


I quilted simple swirls in various sizes edge to edge
 using a variegated thread of red, green, turquoise, and blue.

I really let er' rip not worrying about lines touching sometimes.  It is important to stitch fast to get into a fluid motion.  I try not to over think the process. 

I stitch an open ended circle, swirling to the center, then back-tracking (stitching backwards) out of the circle and immediately moving to the next swirl. 






I loosened the tension on the frame to better see the stitch pattern.
Look at the backing fabric on the top take up rail.  I couldn't pass it up.

I used Warm and Natural 100% cotton batting. 











Tomorrow--I start another quilt.  Probably a chevron quilt.

(I'm supposed to mow the lawn tomorrow
but life is so much happier in the studio w/air conditioning).







10 comments:

Connie said...

Oh my goodness, that quilt is a winner. If you don't enter it in the fair, our quilting shows, something is wrong. I say, "Grand Prize Winner!!!" It is awesome :)
So much work, but you have made a treasure.
Have a great week.
Your blogging sister, Connie :)

Mark D. Ruffner said...

The colors of this one remind me of Amish quilts, though they would doubtlessly use fabrics without patterns. Your swirling stitches are fascinating, and I agree with Connie — this one is a winner!

Kayesi said...

Hi, I came to visit via Old House Dreams and am so glad I did. What a lovely quilt! A treasure indeed - in any home! Thank you for sharing it.

The Dusty Victorian said...

Crazy fantastic! Fun a beautiful, you are amazing Linda.
Anyes
xx

Cedric said...

This is cool!

Warren Letson said...

Wowsers! Gorgeous work!

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog for the last few weeks and enjoyed it. Now I can only see the first picture in the blog and the rest are blank, even when I click on the photo. Don't know if there's anything you can do about it now, but thought I'd comment.
Cindi M

Mrs. D said...

Hello Cindi M,

Thank you for leaving me a note. I left message for Google to look into this problem. The first photos in each of my posts are from my Picasa photo account photo, a default option used to insert images into my blog. The rest of the photos are images I store on my photobucket account. I started using Picasa photos for the first photo, because it was the only way I could get a title and picture to appear in my "follower's blog lists". Many thanks for letting me know about this problem. This week alone I lost 20 followers because of this problem. I hope Google can get this problem fixed. I will also contact a friend to look at my website to see if she has this same problem. For me--I can see all the photos on all the posts. This is a mystery to me.

Mrs. D said...

Dear Cindi M,

Photobucket account where I PAY to store all my photos bombed on January 29th.

That is the reason nearly all the photos were BLANK--except for the first photos that were from my Picasa photo album account.

Same day more than 20 of my regular followers dropped me--now I know why.

Really sad this happened. Will you come back to visit me, and let me know if the photos and rest of the blog are working ok? You are a peach for letting me know.

Anonymous said...

Yes! I can see them now! Thanks for looking into this and getting it fixed. I've enjoyed your blog and learned so much.
Cindi M