Pages

Monday, March 23, 2020

Out of the Box 1952, queen size quilt


Out of the Box 1952, queen size quilt

One solid week of rain.  Lots of mud in the driveway, which is also the path to my sewing studio.  With all the mud--I was mopping the studio floor every day.  Enough of that!

Last week I took my 400+ pile of 3.5" squares to the dining room in the house and began to sew.

I sewed  the 3.5" squares into  (100+ ) 4-patch blocks.  All of the squares were leftovers from the last two quilts: "Stay In Your Own Lane" and "Seeing Red".    DH Jon picked out the neutral sashing fabric.


Waiting for the driveway to dry up a bit--I was able to piece four rows of the quilt at my dining room table.  The dining room light isn't the best, and photographs differently than in the studio. 



Finally, I was able to return to the sewing studio to finish the quilt assembly.  9 blocks per row, 10 rows. Natural daylight in the studio shows the real colors.

I offered these 2 photos to a client, asking her which one of these fabrics she likes best for the backing fabric.  She chose the soft botanical fabric on the right, and it is incorporated into the border as well.


How I decided the working title for this quilt.  The 4-patch blocks reminded me of boxes (not hard to see that).  And then . . . 


I came across a 1952 photo of me.  Great grandma put me in a box, balanced on a metal stool, to take my picture.  In the background is grandpa at the door, ready to save me if I got to moving around too much in the box during the photo shoot.   Seeing this photo--gave me a working title for my quilt: Out of the Box 1952.  Maybe I should have called it, "I Stayed In the Box 1952".

Other Items I Sewed During the Week:  
3 hand -sewn collapsible scrappy thread catchers.  A purse--now ready to add 6/0 bead embellishments, and an example of one of 10 face masks I made.  I gave some to the neighbors, and to my MIL Betty and her friend.  Some for Jon and me.  Extras for friends.


Each face mask takes 14" of 1/4" flat elastic for ear loops  x 10 masks = 140 inches.  Divided by 36" = just under 4 yards of elastic.  I was surprised how easy it is to blow through all the elastic I had on hand.  

I ordered another 70 yards, but delivery won't happen until May 1.  I've given some thought to making "around the head straps featuring tabs of velcro.  I have lots of velcro.  I don't know if it will work--but I will try.

Also in the photo, at the left--you can see an annual stock report-booklet filled with tissue-like pages.  I was going to use the pages for a paper mache project, but I've changed my mind.  

The stock market may have faded, but I will use the pages as foundation piecing for fabric strips--to build a strong vibrant string quilt.  I shall call it, "Crazy Little String Called Love."  

Be strong in the days ahead.  Be well.  Wash thy hands often.  



4 comments:

  1. Hello Linda, I am in love with you as a baby! No wonder your parents kept you! I had always thought that storks brought babies, but perhaps rural delivery requires alternative methods.

    Today's quilt shows a quite sophisticated handling of colors and patterns. I am learning a lot about how to look at quilts from your blog.

    Here in Taiwan masks are everywhere, and I congratulate you on your professional examples. One thing I wonder is how you can sew the curve into the masks--it must be a difficult task.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another beautiful piece of art! Rain? Really? We have been relatively dry here...although we did have a bit of snow late last week...and are due for rain turning to snow tomorrow...and off and on chances all week. You all must be a bit of ahead as far as weather patterns go. Your little thread catchers intrigue me...I bet they would be perfect for my thread ends when cross stitching. If you ever think of doing a mail order, please let me know. And that purse is my kind of beautiful....love, love, love the colors!!! Stay well...and sane... Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jim. Thank you for comment about my baby photo. Thank you for looking at my quilt work.
    I am sewing today on the latest quilt. A string quilt, "Crazy Little String Called Love". Thinking ahead how I will join the string squares (a surprise but also an old trick). Stay tuned for more photos this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello to the divine Miss CrankyCrow. I think about you as I see robins in our yard this week. I am nervous for them as our weather bounces between rain and snow, damp and uncomfortable. Answering your question: I mail purses and quilts all the time. I have an @gmail address; mrs.durrant1 if you want more information. I'm thrilled you like the colors.

    ReplyDelete