Pages

Wednesday, February 5, 2020

A Whole Bunch of Quilts -- Made This Winter (photos)




Black and Winter White Quilt - November 2019




It is challenging to free style stitch on a busy print  (light) background.  Tough to see where I was stitching.  Muscle memory gives me the confidence to stitch feathers on a serpentine line and make them consistently uniform (shape, size, spacing).  

You see, its like driving a car in the fog--as I guide the machine with my right hand, I am constantly feeling along the serpentine line with my left hand to lay down the feathers.  

Sleep Until Noon Quilt - November 2019

I didn't have a minute to spare, and as soon as the Black and Winter White quilt was hemmed, I started on the Sleep Until Noon Quilt.  Lots of brown, blues, reds.  And I quilted a body pillow cover to go with it.  


Above is the finished quilt and body pillow. 



Then I built the Blueflower Quilt.  The dark border fabric features ghost-like images of dandelion-like flowers and leaves.  I pulled lots of dark blue, gray-blue, light gray, and taupe fabrics for the blocks with accent center squares of reds, golds, orange, etc.


Built this quilt during the first week of January, 2020


long arm quilting, Blueflower quilt





Reverse side of the finished Blueflower quilt



I finished the White Star Quilt January 23.  Lots and lots of seams and it took a long time to build.  A gazillion flying geese assemblies to make the white star and I confess I made way more geese than required for the quilt.  I chose ivory cotton print for the sashing and the backing.  


I became interested in "Low Volume" fabrics after reading several articles.  As an artist I would call it low value to be more accurate.  

So, let's just say--I think they call these neutral fabrics low volume because its like turning down the volume on your TV until you barely hear it.   

It is a light, calm, airy, quiet quilt.










Continuing on with the light, airy quilts , I built another low volume quilt (neutrals) with just enough red . . . not too much red . . . just enough showing until I could appreciate the red without over doing it.  Hence, I named this quilt "Seeing Red".  It is all that, plus it's very scrappy.  A real nice farmhouse queen size quilt.


This quilt grew into an extra wide, extra long (ample queen) with a 17" drop




Red gingham, red mattress ticking cotton print, other red prints.  And some quirky hidden critters in the low volume fabrics; 2 fish fabrics, 2 kitty-cats fabrics, porcupines, and butterflies.  


Lower right of the photo is the kitty-cat faces fabric.  A nice neutral you have to look at more than once to discover they are fun kitty cats.  



I threw into the mix some framed diamond blocks (made from leftover flying geese assemblies from the White Star quilt).  Note:  lower left of the photo is the bug-eyed fish fabric.


***
My intention on Monday this week (first week of February 2020) was to create a quilt with a range of purple accents on a gray and white field.  I build the first block and didn't like it at all.  Oh well, that happens.  I will end up making a table runner out of it by adding a couple more blocks, then long arm quilt it.

So the rest of Monday I was cleaning, and sorting fabrics in the studio, when low and behold I found a stack of 25 blocks left over from building the Blues Yo Yo quilt 5 years ago.  

I giggled looking at those 25 blocks--remembering I'd sewn yo-yos with buttons in the center of each block.

Let me show you the quilt I'm building with those blocks . . . called "Button Up" quilt.

Now then, 25 blocks doth not make a queen size quilt.  My plan worked out well to alternate with plain fabric blocks (like I did on the Seeing Red farmhouse quilt).  

Started assembling the "Button Up" quilt Tuesday.  Wednesday I had 3 rows assembled--half of the quilt. 




When I left the studio late afternoon Wednesday the last half of the quilt was nearly complete.  Three more rows pinned, fan-folded, and ready to take to the sewing machine.  


Thursday (tomorrow) I'll sew the backing with an art panel.  Then add compound borders around the perimeter to flesh it out to the requisite size of 92" x 104.  



I hope to have the quilt loaded on the frame Friday for the long arm quilting, then prep and install binding and hemming on Saturday.  

I don't want to forget to show you the quilt I built 5 years ago with the same button yo-yo blocks.  I called that quilt "Blues Yo-Yo"quilt.  Same blocks, but looks much different with white and turquoise/blue sashing.  For some reason I only have 3 photos of the Blues Yo-Yo quilt.



When I built the Blues Yo Yo quilt in 2015, I was reading Kaylee Porter's Graffiti Quilting Booking, and watching her YouTube videos. 


***

Sunday, I'd like to start "Stay In Your Own Lane" quilt.  I have two versions of it in my mind.  But, the first quilt will have to be scrappy to incorporate lots leftovers from the last three quilts.  The other version will be low volume prints, and modern.  I'm rolling my eyes, talking to myself, "can pull off a modern quilt?"  We will see, we will see.

Last, I want to say February and March I will continue to build queen size quilts.  In April I will make purses, table runners, potholders, cell phone carriers, and padded fabric covered writing journals.  Getting ready for my first show Memorial weekend:

Rising Star Mill Art Show
Nelsonville, WI
Sat/Sun May 23-24, 2020
Lots of artists selling their items, good food, live music.  A great show.

Besides selling my things at the Rising Star Mill Art Show, I'll be demonstrating sewing on antique hand crank sewing machines. Come visit and sit with me.  Try you hand at hand crank sewing.  It's a hoot.  


***EXTRA NEWS***

June 13, 2020  DH Jon and I are hosting the Victorian Sweatshop Forum Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio Sewing Machine Extravaganza at my Victorian home in Scandinavia, Wisconsin.  This is a sewing machine clinic where you can have your vintage or antique sewing machines cleaned, oiled, and fussed over by expert restorers at no charge.  Anyone can attend.  

We meet once a year for a cookout and fun.  And, if you are interested in buying a fully restored machine with history, this event is for you.  In the afternoon, we will have sewing machine races in 3 categories: hand crank, treadle, and electric.  Prizes!  Popcorn is served during the races! And great snacks all day long.  Mark you calendar.  See you there, or be square.

-Linda

UPDATE:  Due to the world pandemic, I've cancelled the June 13, 2020 Sewing Machine Extravaganza at my Victorian home in Scandinavia, Wisconsin.  We hope to re-schedule the event for June of 2021.

All my summer 2020 shows are cancelled.  I made 10 queen size quilts since January.  I guess they will sit in storage until next year's shows.  I love making and selling my quilts.  If you see one you like, please let me know.  I think you will be amazed how affordable they are.  Thank you for looking at my work.

Other Stuff:
Please nudge me, I have a Pfaff 11 hand crank sewing machine circa 1938 to show you.  I bought it last year at the Sewing Machine Extravaganza, but I haven't done any deep cleaning, oiling, and such.  I've been trimming down my herd of sewing machines, but slipped up and bought two more machines.  I'm addicted.  When I see a sewing machine I've never seen before, I just get weak in the knees.  Ha. Ha.



















4 comments:

  1. Hello Linda, You are very clever and creative with those quilts--I admire your talent. I am sure that the event at your house will be a big success--I wish that I could attend to meet you and to see those old machines at work!
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jim. You are welcomed any time to come visit us. We would have a great time listening to you talk about your collections. People would appreciate hearing about your collections and knowledge. I know--I do appreciate learning from you. Thank you for being my friend.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh! Your quilts are beautiful and I love their names!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Penelope. Thank you for your warm reception regarding my quilts. I am busy today long arm quilting the Button Up quilt. I made a fancy backing (with art panels, and leftover flying geese sub-assemblies from the White Star Quilt. I'll be posting finish photos very soon. Thank you for looking at my work and reading my blog. -Linda (Mrs. D)

    ReplyDelete