Pages

Saturday, April 16, 2011

A Few More Lampshades I Sewed This Week

Here is a another finished lampshade.  There is quite a differene in color when lighted.

The beads were salvaged from another vintage shade that had some stains on the fabric.The beads were in fairly good shape, but it took some patience to remove them from the shade without breaking them apart.   


Getting the trim on straight seems to be my biggest grief.  I mount the lampshade on the lamp base and put it eye level when I glue.  Perhaps you'll have a good tip for me how to get the trim on straighter. 

While it would have been great to use the original scalloped detail on the beads, I found the scallop portion torn in places and in pretty rough shape when salvaging it from another old lampshade.  After the beads were on, I covered the damaged scallop trim with an ivory braid.


Now, here's some pretty fabric.  Leftover from making draperies for the master bedroom. 



Below is the start of the pale olive lampshade.  Because it has 8 sections each panel is sewn separately. The vintage shade was prepared by wrapping all the struts, and securing with stitches. 

I make my own wraps.  A softer, stretchy material cut with a rotary cutter in 1 inch strips.

Ah finally, I catch the last wrap with a few stitches.

Once the wraps are attached, cut a larger than needed section of fabric and position so the print motif sits right where you want it.  Pin in place, direct pins through the wraps to hold the fabric snug against the frame.

The panel is secured with small stitches around the panel section.  Carefully, trim away excess fabric close to the stitches.    By the way, you may have noticed--this shimmery pale olive green fabric has two thin layers, the other side has a negative imagine.  

Well, that's enough sewing talk today.  Its 4:30p and I have to start dinner.  I've been baking pumpkin pies while I typed this post.  Smells pretty good in the house.  We're having breaded pork chops, mashed potatoes, green beans, and deviled eggs.  Sometimes we have Sunday lunch on Saturday night.  Then, we can relax over leftovers on Sunday. 

4 comments:

  1. I don't think I would have the patience. They look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that you shown us the how to girl..I use to make Victorian lamp shades and sale them many moons ago..Yours are beautiful..Hugs and smiles Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're all very pretty. I like the trims, too! That's a lot of lampshades. Are you planning on selling them or keeping them all? That's a lot of work! But worth it. :-)

    -Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again, very nice Linda. You do beautiful work.
    Anyes
    XX

    ReplyDelete