Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2018

I Changed My Mind Quilt


"I Changed My Mind Quilt"
  
***
I was all set to make a queen size quilt with lots of BLUES and other SCRAPPY FABRICS--then something happened to Change My Mind.

I opened up the armoire fabric storage--a place where I keep 1/2 yard or less remnants from previous quilt backings.  The folded fabrics were stacked tall, and like the game of Jinga removing two fabrics allowed all the other fabrics to spill out onto the floor.  100+ hunks.

My first thought was, the fabric spill isn't as bad as the day I dropped a gallon of milk on the kitchen floor, right?  

A little at a time--over a period of days, I picked up hunks of fabric, measured and labeled each hunk, folded it again, and put 75% into 2 large clear plastic bins.  The remaining 25% of the folded fabrics I put back into the armoire.

The fabric spill turned out to be a GOOD THING, getting acquainted with fabrics I hadn't reviewed for a long time.  Lots and lots of neutrals.  As I was cleaning up the mess, I was also sorting out fabrics to build my next quilt.  Seems only right I should name it "I Changed My Mind Quilt"
  

Begin with a 3.5" square, add 2" strips

10.5" blocks

 72 blocks to build the queen size quilt
8 blocks across x 9 blocks long 
plus 6" pieced border (yet to build)

3/4 of the quilt top is assembled--as of this morning
building 6" pieced border today

Saturday/Sunday I'll construct the pieced backing, get the quilt loaded on the frame, long arm quilt it, trim to square quilt, prepare 400" of binding, install binding, turn binding and hand stitch around perimeter to finish this quilt.  Wish me luck.  

I'll post photos of those steps later.




P.S. - if you are leave me a comment on this post--I'll include photos of my messy studio.  Trust me, seeing someone else's mess will make you happy.




5 comments:

  1. I had to chuckle! It's a woman's prerogative to change her mind. What a perfect quilt name!

    Yes, I want to feel happier about my messy studio by seeing your mess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Donna. I posted the messy studio photo for you. Thank you for stopping by and leaving me a note. You are my hero. I need to do a shout out here--to let people know . . . you are The Treadle Lady, machine restorer, author, and the list goes on and on. Hope you don't mind I added your website: http://treadlelady.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another beautiful quilt ! Ha, ha, you haven't seen a mess of a studio until looking in mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love happy surprises like that when they inspire you to do something wonderful, as you have done here. Beautiful quilt, just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete