Pages

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Old Lampshade Re-do

This serpentine shaped vintage lampshade is my latest re-do project. 
Here it is, falling apart. 
The fabric so brittle it is difficult to handle without poking your finger through its wall.

I'll be looking for some fabric that is fluted like the original.  Before I take it apart--which makes me sad, but has to be done.

I wanted to photograph it as I received it, and pay attention to the details and size of the trim.

You can see in this photo light shows through the decayed fabric in vertical slices.


Here is a closer view of the decay.  The fabric is as brittle and crunchy as a fall leaf. 

The liner is falling away too.  This photo shows off its unique shape.

Thought I'd get a better photograph from the kitchen table.

Huh, I've never photograph the kitchen at this time of day.  I'm surprised--this is a good shot of the kitchen light fixture.  I've not been able to photograph its details before because I couldn't figure out how to photograph it shooting directly into the light. 

The kitchen light fixture was one of those bold choices for the kitchen back in 2008 when we first moved into the house, and after a year of work to re-do electrical, plumbing, and heating just to make the house liveable.  The house had been vacant for more than 3 decades. 

It started out--Mom and I went shopping for a light fixture for the kitchen.  We visited a store and there it was!  Ah-ha, and there was the price tag! (gulp).  We looked at many fixtures, and I always circled the aisles coming back to the same fixture over and over again.  We left the store with no purchase.

Returning to the same store with husband Jon.  I didn't say a word.  Like me, he seemed to follow an invisble beam directly to this light fixture.  He looked up and said, I like that one.  My heart nearly jumped out of my chest.  I said I love it too, but look at the price tag.  Jon reads my face like a book.  He said get it.  It really makes our old kitchen function well with plenty of light, and I love its look.  So glad we didn't give in to adding modern pot lights. 

In the background you can see the original built-in cupboard.  If you open the cupboard doors and drawers they make a complete pass-through between the kitchen and dining room.  I love the function of that.

Well, back to the old lampshade re-do

I've got a laundry-list of things to do today on the 4th of July.  Not one of them has anything to do with sitting in a lawn chair and watching fireworks.  Wish I could hide out in the sewing room to work on this lampshade, but I'll probably spend the cooler part of the morning painting the front porch steps (built Dep 2010).  
Thank goodness Jon has the day off.  He's going to finish building forms here at home for concrete pad behind the garage/art studio--making a pad for the spiral staircase installation.  Yes, Yes, it's true--a real staircase to the studio.  Good-bye aluminum ladder! I'm so tired of you.

3 comments:

  1. Great choice on the light fixture. Anxious to see how you redo the lampshade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that your house had been deserted for three decades! Wow. It's good to have a peek into your kitchen, which seems to have a honey glow to it. And I'll look forward to seeing what you do with the lamp shade. I'll bet it's about 90 years old!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see the finished lampshade. Wish I had your talent. Don't you hate that work has to be done instead of the things we really want to do. Be sure and let us see the finished project. Also, the kitchen light is great. Amazing how you both liked it w/o the other knowing. Meant to be yours.

    ReplyDelete