Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

NEXT WINDOW PLEASE


There is a farm supply store about 15 miles from my house called Fleet Farm.  It is my husband's favorite store.  Jon claims "if you can't find it at Fleet Farm, then you don't need it."

I buy Bear Creek brand Darn Good Chili in a package at Fleet Farm.  It is great tasting.
Other varieties of their dry mix soups are Minestrone, Chicken Noodle, and Cheesey Broccolli.

I always add more sauteed vegetables.
By the way, isn't this a cool sign?

  It came from an office or bank in Chicago.  My great uncle Herman used to clean office buildings and re-paint apartments between renters. 

Herman was a handyman for hire way back in the 30s, 40s, 50s.  He always found amazing things to bring home.  Sometimes it was junky junk, and sometimes real treasure. 

Before he went into a nursing home, we went through tons of things--he was reluctant to throw away or give things to us for keepsakes.  His home in Chicago was always a 250 mile trip for us, and seriously it took 7 years of weekend trips to sort through his stuff.

I remember once we traveled to Chicago to help him sort, and all he sent us home with was a tin of buttons.  We'd just shake our heads, and try to picture ourselves in his shoes. 

Uncle Herman was a bachelor who loved his independence, and hated its loneliness at the end of his life.   His favorite thing to tell me when I was pushing him to get rid of things was, "Don't Bug Me."  Even though he was being naughty saying that, I'd have to turn my head away so he wouldn't see me chuckle. 

I love the NEXT WINDOW sign.  Wish I knew the real story where he found it.  Wonder why he drug it home.  I move it around the house as decoration.  Occasionally it tops a stack of old books.  I used to take it to work with me and plop it on my desk, just for fun.  Always got a laugh. 
I see beauty in it.  I see Uncle Herman.  And can hear him say, "Don't Bug Me."
(Makes me smile).

Here's something worthwhile to share with you.  I make sweet potato treats for our two Jack Russell dogs,
 Fred and Rainie
I wash the torpedo shaped sweet potato, and cut off a deep slice on either end. 
Standing the potato up vertically I slice chips anywhere from 1/8" to 1/4" thick. 
Bake them 325 degrees F for 30 minutes, then turn them over and bake another 10 minutes.

After cooling I divide them into 2 sandwich baggies and store in the refrigerator.  Our dogs love them.  They eat as many as three per day.

The naturally sweet vegetable treats are inexpensive compared to other purchased treats, and quite frankly help our doggies complete their daily routine comfortably.  They are older dogs now and need a little help.  Ok. Ok.  Why am I talking about doggie laxatives?  I'm going to stop!

1 comment:

  1. Your "Next Window" reminds me of the sign I keep on my stove — "For Display Only!" Your doggie treats sound as though they might make good people treats — are you ever tempted to take a few for yourself?

    ReplyDelete