Pages

Friday, September 18, 2009

1903 Photo of our Front Porch

Imagine our surprise. The Iola Historical Society brought us this amazing photograph of our home c. 1903. Second left is our own Mabel Wrolstad, youngest daughter of Mathea and John Olson Wrolstad (builders/first owners of our 1893 Queen Anne). I'm guessing she's about 16 years old in this photo.

Below is the porch as it is today. Not much changed. I'm in the process of restoring the original 116 year old porch spindles (cleaning, patching with wood filler, sanding, replacing dowel ends). We refrabricated the two-piece railings to match original. When I finish spindles we'll re-assemble railings and build front steps. Later on I'll post photos as we complete the project.

Unfortunately the original railings are wafer thin, broken and decayed. Nonetheless we saved all those pieces and gave some pieces to grandchildren of the second owners.

5 comments:

  1. I love these old photos of existing structures that are being loved and used. You should recreate the photo in today's dress and set the chairs, etc with family members and take a picture so you can both side by side framed in your home. Sea Witch

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW good of the Historic Society to give those pics to you! That was a nice treat. Don't you just love thinking about who all lived in your home? You are so fortunate to have all that history available still, to see pics of the original house and the people that occupied it.

    Don't work too hard! I will holler at you later via email.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Linda...was just checking to see if you got any progress made on your blog...

    Let me know if I can help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always fun to read what you are doing on the house. How wonderful to have the photo of your home to help document. I think Musings of a Sea Witch has a clever idea for a family photo. If you do it, please post it. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh your house is gorgeous! I can't wait to see more!

    Blessings,

    Kim

    ReplyDelete